Azavea is looking for a first-class software engineer to join our development team. We build innovative web and mobile applications that use mapping and geographic data to solve complex problems. We’re motivated both by a fascination with software and geospatial technology and because we believe we can change the world for the better through the technology we build. We want to work with people who share our passion for building more dynamic, vibrant communities with cutting edge technology while advancing the state of the art through research. We’ve worked on applications ranging from conservation to urban forestry. Some examples of our recent work include:
• UrbanForestMap: http://www.urbanforestmap.org/ - An implementation of our open source OpenTreeMap project for engaging the public in the task of managing the urban forest.
• Wellbeing Toronto: http://map.toronto.ca/wellbeing/ – Combine socio-economic indicators about neighborhoods in Toronto.
• Walkshed: http://www.walkshed.org/ - Generate a walkability map based on what is important to you; this project began as 10% research time by one of our developers.
• Priority Places: http://gis.ashevillenc.gov/mapasheville/priorityplaces/ – Pick a great site for a business based on geographic decision factors and weights. This project is based on our high performance geographic data processing framework
• DistrictBuilder: http://www.azavea.com/districtbuilder/ – An open source web app for engaging the public with the legislative redistricting process.
• High Performance Computing Research: http://www.azavea.com/geotrellis/ - an open source geospatial data processing framework written in Scala and Akka
• Augmented Reality Research: http://www.azavea.com/augmented-reality/ – Research paper outlining the state-of-the-art in terms of augmented reality software techniques.
About the Position
Are you interested in working in a growing company and contributing to a range of geography-related projects? Do you love pushing the boundaries of efficient, scalable software? Or do you obsess over the details of building beautiful, interactive interfaces? Are you the type of person who gets jazzed about participating in a code Hackathon? Or sharing your knowledge and prowess with others at conferences and community events? Then, Azavea might be the right place for you.
Skills We Look for
• Incredible coding skills. We’re looking for developers who are the best at what they do.
• Experience in programming and application design in modern languages such as C#, Python, Java and Scala.
• Experience creating web applications with industry standard web frameworks.
• Experience with relational databases such as SQLServer, Postgres or MySQL.
• Ability to write and speak about technical topics to both colleagues and non-technical audiences.
• Knowledge of distributed processing a plus, such as Hadoop, Amazon MR, etc.
• Experience with building thread-safe applications.
• Solid grasp of algorithms and data structures with an eye towards efficiency.
• Knowledge of good API design, both web (REST) and software library.
• Knowledge of geographic data analysis software including experience with Esri or open source GIS products is desirable.
As a B Corporation (look it up), we’re committed to maintaining an intellectually stimulating environment, public service and providing our customers with beautiful software. An Azavea software engineer’s responsibilities are not limited to writing code. Our work is multi-disciplinary and may include: business analysis, user-interface design, systems architecture, database design, application development, documentation, testing, and deployment. Azavea works with a range of software frameworks, including .Net, Objective C, Python/Django, Java and Scala. We welcome experienced developers with a background in any related development environments.
Background and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including: performance bonuses, health, dental, vision, retirement plan, flexible hours, and more. We welcome candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company and do not discriminate based on race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Both our Philadelphia and Cambridge offices are bright loft spaces designed for collaboration. Our main office in Philadelphia is located near Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown, public transit and other amenities. Our office in Cambridge is next to the Kendall Square T stop, near MIT.
View the job description on our website: http://www.azavea.com/about-us/join-us/current-job-openings/software-engineer/
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Amy Trahey at email@example.com.
This position is available in either our Philadelphia or Cambridge office.