The Director of Public Relations & Constituent Development is responsible for the overall leadership and strategic management behind Cheyney University’s internal and external communications to promote and advance the University’s mission, vision, and goals. These activities shall include, but not be limited to the creation and distribution of media advisories, news releases, monthly newsletters, alumni magazine, and the President’s annual report. This position is classified as MGR190 with full university benefits.
Duties & Responsibilities: The incumbent will:
- Set goals, develop strategies, and define success for university-wide internal and external communication efforts through continuous proactive development of projects, activities and initiatives. This is done through the development and maintenance of the University’s communication’s plan.
- Serve as chair to the Media Advisory Team responsible for developing and implementing a broad University media strategy, the development of media related policy, and the development of an institutional promotional and branding development plans.
- Plan and execute writing and publishing responsibilities for the President’s Annual Report, alumni magazine and the University monthly newsletter.
- Initiate and coordinate the collection, writing, and dissemination of a continuous flow of publicity to various media outlets and maintain a positive relation with media personnel.
- Monitor the IA budget for PR and constituency development programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate specifications, development, production, and distribution of all official university public relations materials and publications in concert with marketing and recruitment activities in order to promote consistency and continuity of a positive public image.
- Represent/support/staff the University at special events, Presidential appearances, and a variety of community and regional organizations, including, but not limited to photography.
- Serve on the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education’s PR Directors’ Committee.
- Serve as the point of contact for media relations and as chief spokesperson for the University.
- Manages the Media Advisory’s Team’s internship program through the department.
- Handle sensitive issues and information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Attend meetings with the President and/or the President’s designees to advise of sensitive issues and to discuss strategies.
- Attend regular meetings of the President’s Cabinet in order to be kept abreast of sensitive issues.
Education, Training & Experience: Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in journalism, media communications, marketing, or a related field, and at least five years of related professional experience. A demonstrated level of superior writing and editing skills, exceptional interpersonal skills and strong research skills. Experience in cultivating both internal relations and with reporters, editors and media leaders is essential. The job requires a solid knowledge of graphic design, printing practices and processes, publication technologies and of comprehensive web-based techniques and strategies to maintain a positive online image.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Effective decision making skills
- Excellent communication, verbal and written
- Develop solutions to problems
- Organize and plan effectively
- Attention to detail in analyzing and evaluating information
- Complete multiple tasks
- Interact with diverse publics in a welcoming and inclusive manner
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Computer Skills (Microsoft Office Suite, web technologies, contemporary social media and other related software)
Contact: Interested applicants should complete and mail, deliver, fax or email application items listed below. (PLEASE NOTE – Only applicants with completed application packets will be considered). 1. University application form (Go to http://www.cheyney.edu/human-resources/Employment-Opportunities.cfm and select – “How to Apply”. Download and complete the university application); 2. Resume/CV and Cover Letter; 3. Copy of transcripts of highest degree earned. Copy can accompany application. Official transcripts are required at appointment. 4. Names and contact information for three (3) professional references; NOTE – *Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification and criminal background check per Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education policy. MAIL: Cheyney University of Pennsylvania, Office of Human Resources – PR, 1837 University Circle – PO Box 200, Cheyney, PA 19319 or FAX – 610 399 2283 or EMAIL – email@example.com